23 November 2010

Tell Me A Story

I was recently talking with my dear friend, Sarah.  We were discussing different ways I could start my own business, to not be tied down to one place...eventually.  :-)  One suggestion was to write a book on my experiences in my current living conditions.  Apparently, she finds my stories amusing.  I'm so glad I can amuse you, Sarah.  :-)
Her favorite story is about when I ride my bicycle around town (my 'small' area of town).  There is a particular corner (let me say here that it happens at more than just this one corner, but it is inevitable at this corner) where some motorbike taxi drivers rest.  When I walk by, they are very prone to call out 'Madame! Hello! Madame! Motorbike?! Hello! Madame!'  This is understandable.  I, being a young foreign woman, walking, they think I should need a ride, and they should give me one.  However, when I ride my bicycle past the same corner, they still call out, 'Madame! Hello! Madame!'  At this point I stop paying attention, as I am mostly past them.  However, I swear I can still hear 'Motorbike?!' being called out.
This I don't get.  I am on a bike.  Why would I need a ride for my bike and myself.
Part of me thinks they are just calling out.  If they are, it is just for jest, as most other people don't mind me when I am riding my bicycle, especially if I am on the go and not stopped.
Maybe one day I won't be in a rush to get home and stop to find out exactly what it is they want from a foreign lady on a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment