03 March 2010

No Water Season

In many parts of the world one will see a variety of seasons throughout the year.  I have personally lived through: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Hot, Hotter, Cold, Colder, Wet, and Dry.  Now I can add a new season; I call it No Water.
This new season came a bit of a surprise.  I was always quite aware that I was in the Dry season.  However, I had not heard (nor realized by all the greenery or usage of water around me) that there was quickly becoming a shortage of water.
The gov't gave orders for restricting the water.
So.
Within a day and a half, water was cut off from: most of the school and dorm as well as my apt.
:-D
Whoo-hoo!  It's almost like camping!........
Except that I must make myself presentable every day to a full school of students as well as parents.
And this is no American land where I could at least think about rinsing off in a river, etc.
No.  Mme is now restricted to activities that create little to no sweat.  Wait.  That means no breathing either.
The roomies and I have set up some buckets (which may last us another day...) to use before we head for the hotels.  I am not looking forward to spending money in order to shower (even if it means I can work out!! Yay!!).
However, as the gov't has also (within a very short time) decided to jack up the electricity rates by 49% (yes, you read that correctly), a hotel also means we an use the AC with no worry :-)
So much for living cheaply in order to pay off the bills.....

1 comment:

  1. Above, I made some errant statements (innocently!) which should be corrected. It was the water bill (not the electric) that got jacked up 48%. The electric bill was only raised 6.something%.
    Come to find out, the apt. complex put our water on a timed schedule (morning and evenings)--however, during this current weekend, everything seems to be working normally. So, we'll find out Monday what the new shower schedule will be like. :-) The posting downstairs offers little information: water in our district is low and may possibly go out at times......very valuable info, I know. :-\

    ReplyDelete